Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Where is Kathleen Turner now? '80s icon overcame a devastating diagnosis to regain independence

2023-06-16 15:26
Kathleen Turner has overcome many health struggles, including rheumatoid arthritis, which forced her to step back from acting at 39
Where is Kathleen Turner now? '80s icon overcame a devastating diagnosis to regain independence

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Kathleen Turner is turning 68 in a few days. The acclaimed actress has had a wonderful journey in Hollywood and has received two Golden Globe Awards besides nominations for an Academy Award, a Grammy Award, and two Tony Awards.

Turner initially established herself in theater, but it was her role in the 1981 film 'Body Heat' that propelled her to stardom. Turner considers the opportunity to be part of that film a stroke of luck, as it led to her being cast in leading roles. Four decades after the breakthrough, Turner still remains a prominent figure associated with her captivating sensuality. While some actresses might find it limiting to be labeled primarily as a sex symbol, she doesn't take it personally or feel frustrated by it. "I got over that a long time ago," she admitted.

Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas' romance

In 1984, just three years after her notable performance in 'Body Heat', Turner was chosen as the leading lady opposite Michael Douglas in the film 'Romancing The Stone'. Turner and Douglas undeniably shared remarkable chemistry on set. Both of them openly admitted to having feelings for each other and were in the midst of developing a romantic connection. At the time, Douglas was still legally married to Diandra Luker, although they were already separated. While everything seemed just right for a budding relationship, the romance did not pan out after all. The two were unable to get together despite their feelings for each other as Luker refused to grant Douglas a divorce.

Rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis

In 1992, Kathleen Turner was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, and a doctor predicted she would be in a wheelchair for life. Refusing to accept this prognosis, she fired the doctor. Turner later faced the issue of swollen feet that prevented her from wearing shoes while filming 'Serial Mom' in 1993. "I couldn’t walk. I couldn’t hold a glass. The only way I could go up and down stairs was on my butt, pushing myself. The pain is very bad because there’s no way to sit, lie or stand that allows you to escape it. People don’t understand because it’s not life-threatening. It will not kill me, but it kills your life," she told the Guardian.

Fearing the consequences, Turner felt compelled to keep her illness a secret, aware that revealing her condition would likely make it difficult to find work. "I can’t exaggerate what a battle it was against the endless pain and fear of what I’d end up like. I kept my illness a secret for years, I had no choice. I was called a drunk and had awful things said about the way I looked, it was so cruel. Robert Downey Jr was known for his drinking, but the studios still hired him. But if I’d said I had a disease that wasn’t under control, no one would touch me," she said.

Alcoholism and stint in rehab

Kathleen Turner took a break from acting but refused to let her illness define her life. After gaining weight from medication, she endured media scrutiny over her appearance. The pressure took a toll on her mental health, leading her to turn to alcohol. However, a moment of realization prompted her to prioritize her family and enter rehab in 2002, leading to a significant reduction in her alcohol consumption. From 1984 to 2007, Kathleen Turner had the support of her husband, Jay Weiss. During their time together, they welcomed a daughter named Rachel Ann Weiss, who subsequently pursued a career in the entertainment industry, following in her mother's footsteps.

Where is Kathleen Turner now?

Currently in remission from rheumatoid arthritis, Kathleen Turner continues to face occasional flare-ups of the condition. Throughout the years, she has maintained a steady presence in the entertainment industry, finding a strong affinity for theater, where she has discovered more substantial roles for older women. Notably, at the age of 46, she boldly took on the role of Mrs Robinson in a West End production of 'The Graduate'. Demonstrating her versatility, Turner also ventured into creating her own one-woman cabaret show, titled 'Finding My Voice'. Additionally, she has made notable appearances as an overprotective mother in the film 'The Virgin Suicides' and as a sexually assertive talent agent in the TV comedy 'Californication'.