Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

‘One of the most influential wrestlers of all time’: Tributes pour in as WWE Hall of Famer Billy Graham aka 'Superstar' dies at 79

2023-05-18 14:27
Billy Graham aka 'Superstar' died after battling a 'myriad of very serious health issues' and spending several weeks in the ICU
‘One of the most influential wrestlers of all time’: Tributes pour in as WWE Hall of Famer Billy Graham aka 'Superstar' dies at 79

PHOENIX, ARIZONA: WWE Hall of Famer Billy Graham, nicknamed ‘Superstar’, reportedly died at the age of 79 after being taken off life support on Wednesday, May 17, 2023. He died after battling a “myriad of very serious health issues” and spending several weeks in the ICU. Fellow wrestler Ric Flair, a 16-time World Champion, first appeared to break the news of Graham’s death on Twitter. “The Superstar Billy Graham Just Left Us THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR INFLUENCE On My Career!” Flair wrote.

Graham’s family also confirmed the news of his death to TMZ. They shared that the wrestling legend took his last breath with his wife and daughter by his side. The tragic news comes after Graham’s wife Valerie previously asked for "urgent prayers" and said that she “refused” to let doctors take the former off life support. “Please urgent prayers needed for my husband. The doctors wanted to remove him from life support tonight. I refused. He's a fighter and his will is strong even if his body isn't. God is our hope,” Valerie wrote in a statement earlier this week.

READ MORE

How did Jay Briscoe die? Wrestler Jamin Pugh, one half of Ring of Honor tag team, dead at 38

WWE legend Scott Hall dies at 63, wrestling world calls it 'a painful day’

Graham was hospitalized in January with an ear infection that spread to his ear bones and skull. He also suffered from heart failure, diabetes, and hearing loss, a GoFundMe page launched to support his family revealed.

The wrestler reportedly lost 80 pounds due to a lack of appetite and struggled with extreme weakness. He even had dialysis after “intermittently” suffering from kidney issues and faced heart and lung concerns, depression as well as sores from being in bed for four months.

‘The man of the hour’

The wrestling community immediately took to Twitter to offer condolences to Graham and honor the late WWE legend. “Superstar Billy Graham had such a charisma and love for professional wrestling. He will be greatly missed. RIP TO A LEGEND,” wrote Pro Wrestling Central. “Before Billy Graham, performers in WWWF / WWF/ WWE were known as professional wrestlers. After Billy Graham left his mark, Vincent Kennedy McMahon decided everyone would be a WWE Superstar. A most heartfelt RIP to the man of the hour, the man with the power, too sweet to be sour!” Professional wrestling manager Paul Heyman wrote.

“RIP Superstar Billy Graham One of the most influential wrestlers of all time,” David LaGreca, host of SiriusXM’s 'Busted Open' and 'Prince of ISPW Wrestling' tweeted.

“THE SUPERSTAR BILLY GRAHAM MY BROTHER FOR LIFE. HE WAS THE CHAMPION AND MOST OVER MAN IN THE BUSINESS. HE ALWAYS SHOW ME THE RESPECT. I LOVE HIM I MISS HIM FOREVER,” added Iranian-American professional wrestler The Iron Sheik.

Wrestler Nick Aldis said, “RIP Superstar. Quite possibly the biggest game-changer of all time. Because of Billy Graham, we got Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair, not to mention countless others who made fortunes borrowing from this man. Say his name and remember him. "Superstar" Billy Graham. 1943-2023,” while the official account named 80’s Wrestling simply mentioned, “RIP “Superstar” Billy Graham.”

‘Rest in peace Superstar’

Social media users and fans of Graham were also quick to pay their tributes. “Rest in peace Superstar Billy Graham,” one fan wrote. “Rest in Power, Superstar Billy Graham! You influenced many. Thank you,” added another. “The original Hulk Hogan. The original Ric Flair. The original Superstar. RIP, “Superstar” Billy Graham,” a third admirer wrote.

“RIP Billy Graham: He helped create and mold so many wrestlers after him I can’t begin to start naming them. The Superstar was an icon in the business. I am forever grateful for his influence,” another commented. One said, “RIP Superstar Billy Graham. Often imitated but never duplicated,” while another added, “Too Sweet to be Sour. RIP Superstar Billy Graham. A true inspiration to every generation in professional wrestling.”

A look back into Billy Graham’s career highlights

Graham, born Eldridge Wayne Coleman, started his wrestling career in 1969 after signing with various promotions. Prior to his decorated wrestling career, Graham wanted to play in the Canadian Football League but skyrocketed to fame after venturing into bodybuilding. In 1975, Graham debuted with WWE, then known as the World Wide Wrestling Federation. His wrestling style and look became an influence on popular wrestlers like Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Austin Idol, and Jesse Ventura.

Even wrestlers like Steve Austin and Triple H began adopting Graham’s look and mannerisms, the Daily Mail reported. During his WWE career, Graham won the WWWF World Heavyweight Championship in 1977. He was a three-time world champion in major professional wrestling promotions and took part in the 1980 World's Strongest Man competition, finishing seventh despite an injury. Graham was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2004 alongside Ventura and Sgt Slaughter.

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.