Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Kelly Clarkson admits to taking antidepressants during divorce from Brandon Blackstock: 'Greatest decision ever'

2023-06-29 15:59
Kelly Clarkson explained that she did not handle her divorce gracefully and therapy helped her to navigate the situation
Kelly Clarkson admits to taking antidepressants during divorce from Brandon Blackstock: 'Greatest decision ever'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Kelly Clarkson has been on a promotion spree lately and has been very open about her personal life. Interest in the singer's personal life has gone up a notch since she started telling fans about her marriage and bitter separation from ex Brandon Blackstock. She also revealed that she discussed the lyrics of her recent release, 'Chemistry', with her ex so that he wouldn't be blindsided by the references she makes to their life in her songs.

Kelly Clarkson also openly admitted to using antidepressants while she processed her divorce from Brandon. She filed for divorce in June 2020 and it was ultimately granted in 2022. The talk show presenter and singer recently appeared on an episode of 'Las Culturistas With Matt Rogers and Bowen Yang' on Wednesday, June 28. In the show, she was open about using antidepressants to cope with her divorce. The 41-year-old 'Since U Been Gone' singer recalled a challenging therapy session that forced her to prioritize her mental health.

'I just couldn't stop sobbing'

In the interview, Kelly said, "I am gonna be very honest right now and I have not owned this ever... I looked at my therapist and I just couldn't stop sobbing, and I was like, 'I actually had to cancel something the other day because I couldn't stop crying. I cannot do this.'" She added, "It was one of those things where I really had to put my pride aside and like all my childhood issues of whatever. I was on Lexapro for like, I think two months," as reported by ETOnline.

She went on and added, "My thing was, I just can't smile anymore for America right now – I'm not happy and I need help, and it was one of the best lessons, because she kept trying to convince me, 'Girl, you're doing a lot,' and having to balance a lot and trying to put my best foot forward in front of my kids, I was like, 'I can't do it.'" Clarkson added, "And it was honest to God, the greatest decision ever. I wouldn't have made it [without]. And then by the time you wean off of it, it's like 'OK, I handled what I couldn't handle then, and now I have time and space.'"

'I'm not going to say I did it gracefully'

The former couple, who had two children together, namely River and Remington, reached a settlement in March 2022. The 'American Idol' winner has been open about the divorce ever since, even acknowledging that she took up some bad habits at the time. While speaking with while speaking to Zane Lowe on Apple Music 1, she admitted, "I don't know how people get through anything like that because I'm not going to say I did it gracefully. Behind closed doors by myself, it was not." She also said, "Just to be brutally honest, I did not handle it well."

In an effort to "make it work," Clarkson and Blackstock sought marriage therapy before calling it quits. The singer claimed, though, that she "knew in my heart it just wasn't going to [work]." Even though they didn't benefit as a pair from treatment, Clarkson personally benefited from it. She said, "It's very helpful to have a trained professional that knows how to navigate you through rough seas," she said.

Tags news