Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Why is Leah Remini suing the Church of Scientology? Actress claims organization and David Miscavige harassed and defamed her

2023-08-03 16:22
Leah Remini alleged Scientology's 'mob style operations and attacks' had affected her personal and professional life
Why is Leah Remini suing the Church of Scientology? Actress claims organization and David Miscavige harassed and defamed her

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Actress Leah Remini sued the Church of Scientology and its leader, David Miscavige, for "harassment, surveillance and defamation" for 17 years. The lawsuit, which was filed in California on Wednesday, August 2, detailed the intimidation, harassment, mental distress and defamation that she endured since 2006.

Remini alleged that Scientology's "mob-style operations and attacks" had "significantly" impacted both her personal and professional life. She joined Scientology as a child in 1979. Since she left the religion in 2013, Remini has vociferously opposed the organization. She co-created and hosted 'Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath,' a documentary series against the organization that aired on A&E from 2016 to 2019 and received two Emmy awards.

Why is Leah Remini suing the Church of Scientology?

According to the lawsuit, Remini alleged that she had been the target of "intentional malicious and fraudulent rumors via hundreds of Scientology-controlled and -coordinated social media accounts that exist solely to intimidate and spread misinformation," per NBC News. She stated in a press release on Wednesday, "For 17 years, Scientology and David Miscavige have subjected me to what I believe to be psychological torture, defamation, surveillance, harassment and intimidation, significantly impacting my life and career." Remini filed the 60-page lawsuit alleging that Miscavige and the organization had "undertaken a campaign to ruin and destroy" her life.

The documents further read that the organization deemed Remini a "suppressive person," a person who commits "serious offenses against the Scientology faith." She stated, "With this lawsuit, I hope to protect my rights as afforded by the Constitution of the United States to speak the truth and report the facts about Scientology. I feel strongly that the banner of religious freedom does not give anyone license to intimidate, harass, and abuse those who exercise their First Amendment rights."

Her lawsuit reads, "Most importantly, she seeks injunctive relief to end Scientology's policies against Suppressive Persons so that current and former Scientologists, and others who wish to expose Scientology's abuses, including journalists and advocates, may feel free to hold Scientology accountable without the fear that they will be threatened into silence."

How did Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes wedding affect Leah Remini?

Remini alleged in the lawsuit that she was attacked by Scientology after questioning the absence of Miscavige's wife, Michele, also known as "Shelley," at Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' wedding in 2006, according to court documents. After leaving the organization in 2013, Remini filed a missing persons report for Shelley.

Despite being the target of numerous lawsuits from ex-Scientologists, Miscavige, who is also missing, has never been physically located to be served with any documents. Remini's lawsuit asserted that the "campaign to destroy" her intensified following her departure from the church in 2013. She claimed in court documents that the church hired private detectives to track her during the New York stop of her book tour in 2015. The actress said that the experience was so "intimidating" that she feared "for her physical safety."