Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Wtf is this s**t?' Paloma Faith slams 'The Little Mermaid', says it's not for 'next-gen women'

2023-05-30 11:27
Paloma Faith didn't like that Ariel gave up her own voice in order to change into a human so she could be with Prince Eric
'Wtf is this s**t?' Paloma Faith slams 'The Little Mermaid', says it's not for 'next-gen women'

LONDON, ENGLAND: Paloma Faith isn't happy with the new live-action 'The Little Mermaid' adaptation. Faith, 41, has shared her unfiltered views about the film on Instagram, claiming that it was difficult to explain the movie's narrative to her.

Faith took to Instagram over the weekend to express her appreciation for Halle Bailey for her role in the newest Disney film, but she later shifted the conversation away from Bailey's performance to share her true reviews of the film. The 'Can't Rely on You' singer wrote, "Just seen the new little mermaid with my kids and while I think Halle gives a good performance and it's great casting, as a mother of girls I don't want my kids to think it's ok to give up your entire voice and your powers to love man."

READ MORE

'Let your light shine': Stephanie Mills stands with 'The Little Mermaid' star Halle Bailey amid racist backlash

Outrage as ‘The Little Mermaid’ gets bombed by negative reviews: 'All of this because lead role went to Black woman'

'Not what I want to be teaching next gen women'

Faith added, "Wtf is this s**t?! Not what I want to be teaching next gen women at all." She seems to be making reference to the fact that Ariel, the protagonist of 'The Little Mermaid', gave up her own voice in order to change into a human so she could be with Prince Eric, her love interest.

Furthermore, given that the 1989 version also made use of this cliche, it appears that Faith may have forgotten the plot before viewing the new adaptation. In an interview with Edition earlier this year, Bailey spoke candidly about the new adaptation of the movie, stating that it "definitely changed that perspective of just her wanting to leave the ocean for a boy..."

Bailey added. "It's way bigger than that. It's about herself, her purpose, her freedom, her life and what she wants." It appears that assertion either didn't make it to the big screen or simply slipped Faith's mind.

'We need to stop taking movies so seriously'

Many people have shared their reactions to Faith's review of the film on Twitter. One person asked, "She didn't know what the movie was about???," while another person tweeted, "It’s literally the same plot as the original what—"

A third person was in support of the plot, and wrote, "Ariel's arc in The Little Mermaid encouraged me to pursue my dreams and ambitions. She was, and remains, a great role model for little girls everywhere." Another individual tweeted, "We need to stop taking movies so seriously."

One user who wasn't satisfied by Faith's review of the film wrote, "She [Ariel] had more of a voice in the live-action than in the original, which begs the question, what else could she have a problem with this movie that she won't say?"

This article contains remarks made on the internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.