Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Chas Newby: Tributes pour in as bassist who briefly played for The Beatles dies at 81

2023-05-24 10:22
Chas Newby performed with The Beatles for several gigs in 1960, went on to become a high school mathematics teacher
Chas Newby: Tributes pour in as bassist who briefly played for The Beatles dies at 81

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND: Chas Newby who briefly performed as the bassist for The Beatles, for several gigs has died at the age of 81. The news of his death was announced by The Cavern Club in Liverpool, where the Beatles first started to gain fame in the early '60s. The musician was also a member of John Lennon's first band The Quarrymen.

"It's with great sadness to hear about the passing of Chas Newby", a spokesperson wrote in a Facebook post. "Chas stepped in for The Beatles for a few dates when Stuart Sutcliffe stayed in Hamburg and latterly he played for The Quarrymen. Interestingly, he was also the first left-handed bass guitarist in The Beatles. RIP Chas Newby thoughts and well wishes from everybody at The Cavern Club."

READ MORE

Who split The Beatles? Paul McCartney says John Lennon, fans blame Yoko Ono

Absolutely f*****g not': Brian May slammed for saying The Beatles need biopic like 'Bohemian Rhapsody'

Beatles historian pays tribute to Chas Newby

Beatles historian Mark Lewisohn has also paid tribute to Newby on social media. Mark said that Newby replaced Stuart "on a few dates" and described Chas as a "charming man." "RIP Chas Newby, fill-in Beatle and fair chap. He deputized for Stuart on a few dates when the Beatles returned from Hamburg the first time, end-1960, including the momentous Litherland date", Lewisohn wrote on Twitter. "Latterly he’s been one of the Quarry Men too. A charming man, always a pleasure to meet. (sic)"

Newby denied to work with John Lennon

John Lennon reportedly wanted Newby to continue with the tour with The Quarrymen when they went to West Germany during the 1960s. Chas, however, declined the offer to tour with the Beatles and instead returned to the university. "Music was never going to be a living for me. I wanted to do chemistry," Chas explained while speaking to the Sunday Mercury in 2012. "John, Paul [McCartney] and George [Harrison], they just wanted to be musicians."

The bass player later became a school teacher for which he had no regrets. He said, "People sometimes don’t believe me when I say I’ve no regrets. But I really haven’t." He also joked that he only became famous as the Beatle's first left-handed bass player. "I borrowed a bass from a guy called Tommy McGuirk, but of course, Tommy was right-handed, so I got this bass guitar and it's not as difficult as it sounds but I just played it upside down," he said on the Beatles City podcast.

'That breaks my heart'

Twitter user also paid their tributes to the late musician. One user tweeted, "Omg no way!! that breaks my heart. my wishes are with his family". Another wrote, "Goodbye Chas rest in peace. Paul must be affected." One user said, "He was my maths teacher. Was a good bloke, always fair" while another commented, "A brief Beatle during their formative years. Ironic he shared the same b-day (though a year older) and a left-handed guitarist like Paul. RIP Chas." "That's a real shame to hear, god bless ya, Chas", wrote one user.

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.