Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Who is John Bailey's wife? 'As Good As It Gets' cinematographer and former Academy president dead at 81

2023-11-13 19:50
John Bailey had worked on classics like 'As Good as It Gets', 'Ordinary People', and 'The Big Chill'
Who is John Bailey's wife? 'As Good As It Gets' cinematographer and former Academy president dead at 81

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Hollywood mourns the loss of John Bailey, the renowned cinematographer and former president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, who passed away at the age of 81.

His wife, Carol Littleton, confirmed the news in a heartfelt statement released through the Academy on Friday.

"It is with deep sadness I share with you that my best friend and husband, John Bailey, passed away peacefully in his sleep early this morning," she announced, as per PEOPLE magazine.

John Bailey's cinematic legacy spanned nearly six decades

Bailey's illustrious career spanned nearly 50 years, with over 80 films to his credit, including classics like 'As Good as It Gets', 'Ordinary People', and 'The Big Chill'.

In 2015, the American Society of Cinematographers honored him with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, acknowledging his significant contributions to the world of filmmaking.

John Bailey was first cinematographer to be elected president of the Academy

In 2017, Bailey made history by becoming the first cinematographer to be elected as the president of the Academy.

In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, he expressed his excitement about the role, saying, "I love the Academy. I’ve been a member since 1981 and I just found myself slowly over the years becoming more engaged with a lot of the Academy’s programs and initiatives. It seemed like a natural development."

While Bailey's tenure faced challenges, including declining awards broadcast ratings and diversity criticisms, he navigated turbulent times with resilience.

Producer Michael Shamberg, reflecting on Bailey's leadership, remarked, "To be a cinematographer, you need three skills: you need to be an artist, you need to be a technician, and you need to be a manager. That’s a pretty good toolkit for the president of the Academy."

John Bailey confronted significant challenges during his Academy presidency

During his presidency, Bailey confronted significant challenges, including the #MeToo movement ignited by allegations against Harvey Weinstein. The Academy responded by expelling Weinstein and establishing a code of ethical standards.

Bailey, addressing the evolving landscape at the 2018 Oscars luncheon, highlighted the industry's commitment to change.

"I may be a 75-year-old white male, but I’m every bit as gratified as the youngest of you here that the fossilized bedrock of many of Hollywood’s worst abuses are being jackhammered into oblivion," he declared.

Bailey is survived by his wife, Carol Littleton, an Oscar-nominated film editor and former Academy governor.

The couple, married for 51 years, shared a remarkable life of adventure in the world of films, leaving an enduring legacy in the hearts of the film community.

Tags news