Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Who is the author of 'Meet Me at the Lake'? Prince Harry and Meghan Markle buy film rights to bestselling novel

2023-08-07 15:23
Harry and Meghan's deal with Penguin Random House for the rights to 'Meet Me At the Lake' is rumored to have cost nearly $4M
Who is the author of 'Meet Me at the Lake'? Prince Harry and Meghan Markle buy film rights to bestselling novel

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, the Duke, and Duchess of Sussex, are embarking on a new Hollywood venture after experiencing previous setbacks in their production endeavors. The couple has acquired the screen rights to the romantic novel, 'Meet Me at the Lake,' by Carley Fortune with the intention of adapting it into a film for Netflix, The Sun reports.

The novel, released in May and featured on The New York Times Best Sellers list for six weeks, revolves around the story of a woman in her thirties who copes with the death of her mother in a car accident while embarking on a profound romantic journey. 'Meet Me at the Lake' explores poignant themes such as childhood trauma, the loss of a parent in a car crash, mental health challenges, and post-natal depression, set against the backdrop of Canada.

Who is the author of 'Meet Me at the Lake'?

Carley Fortune, a highly acclaimed author, has achieved remarkable success with her novels 'Meet Me at the Lake' and 'Every Summer After,' both ranking as #1 bestsellers on the New York Times and Globe and Mail lists. Her literary works have garnered widespread popularity, with over one million copies sold worldwide.

'Meet Me at the Lake' is an enthralling tale of love, uniting two strangers during the pivotal moments of their lives – once in their early twenties and again a decade later.

'Every Summer After' marks Carley Fortune's debut novel, offering a nostalgic journey into childhood crushes, first loves, and the significant individuals and decisions that leave a lasting impact. Aside from her accomplishments as an author, Carley is an award-winning journalist with an editorial background at distinguished Canadian publications, including The Globe and Mail, Chatelaine, Toronto Life, and the beloved former weekly paper, The Grid. She most recently held the position of Executive Editor at Refinery29 Canada. Carley earned her Bachelor of Journalism from Toronto Metropolitan University.

Carley's upbringing encompassed experiences in the suburbs of Sydney, Australia, and the serene lakeside town of Barry's Bay in rural Ontario, which served as the backdrop for her novel 'Every Summer After.'

Presently residing in Toronto with her husband and two sons, Carley is already immersed in her next literary venture, working on her third book.

How Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's journey aligns with 'Meet Me at the Lake'

Interestingly, the book's narrative bears resemblances to Prince Harry's own life, particularly his experience of losing his mother, Princess Diana, in a tragic car crash in 1997. Furthermore, both Harry and Meghan met in their thirties, while Meghan was in Canada filming the television series 'Suits.'

The film adaptation of 'Meet Me at the Lake' marks another project in the couple's collaboration with Netflix. As per insider information shared with The Sun, the couple was deeply captivated by the book's themes, making it their first choice for adaptation. “The themes of the book gripped the couple, and it was chosen for their first adaptation with Netflix,” the source said. The deal with Penguin Random House for the rights to the novel is rumored to have cost nearly $4 million, although no official confirmation has been provided.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's endeavors beyond Netflix

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle signed a substantial deal with Netflix in 2020, estimated to be around $100 million, which entails the creation of various content, including documentaries, films, children's shows, and docuseries. However, not all of their ideas have materialized, leading to some previous setbacks in their Netflix projects.

In addition to their Netflix commitments, Page Six revealed that Prince Harry is reportedly planning a documentary project set in Africa, although the details of its subject matter remain undisclosed.

The couple has recently faced challenges in their careers, such as ending a $20 million deal with Spotify. Meghan Markle's podcast, 'Archetypes,' featuring interviews with notable figures like Serena Williams and Andy Cohen, was not renewed for a second season, leaving it as the only project produced for Spotify during their partnership, apart from a one-off holiday episode.

There have been speculations of a potential blockbuster deal with Dior for Meghan Markle, swiftly refuted by a source from the luxury fashion house. Representatives for Meghan Markle, Prince Harry, Carley Fortune, and Penguin Random House have not provided official comments on the latest developments.